Week beginning 16th November
This week we are finding 1 more than a number. We are doing this practically, using our counting and comparing skills. The children should be encouraged to count how many they have and then count on 1 more.
1. Watch the Number blocks clip emphasising the language 1 more than.
2. Use small objects that you have up to 10 of. These could be cars, Lego, sweets etc. Ask the children to count out a number up to 9. Then ask them to find 1 more practically. This should be repeated many times for different numbers.
3. The children can attempt to record the activity that was completed yesterday as it should be repeated again today to consolidate understanding. The children could record using dots, marks, tallies or numbers.
lllll + l = llllll
5 + 1 = 6
4. Sing the 1 more than song
Drop concrete objects into a box. Children close their eyes and listen to drops and count how many items they think are in the box.
What if I add 1 more?
How many are in the box now?
Children make predictions and count to find out.Use a number line to draw attention to the fact that it is the number that comes next in the count.
Week beginning 9.11.20
This week we are comparing groups of objects. We have encouraged the children to use the language same as, fewer and more than.
1. Grab 2 handfuls of objects (Lego, pasta, sweets etc)
2. identify which hand has fewer than the other.
3. Repeat activity identifying which hand has more than.
4. Take the same amount in both hands.